The North End could be defined as a city of churches. In just a few city blocks from the mid-1860s to the early decades of the 20th century there were 15 places of worship. These institution provided their communities with places to socialize as well as places to worship for much of the late 19th century. Of the 15 churches that populated this neighbourhood only three are still in active service and today only one of the steeples towers over the buildings and shops below. As the inner city changed and populations moved further North, into the West End of Halifax and/or out into Armdale, Fairview and Rockingham these congregations suffered declining attendance and for the most part closed or relocated. Today we are seeing that same trend throughout the city’s churches giving proof to the suggestion that history repeats itself. The churches of the North End:
– Church of the Holy Redeemer, Universalist Unitarian Church, Brunswick Street – opened 1874 sold in the 1940s and converted to apartments in the 1980s.
– Saint Patrick’s, Roman Catholic Church, Brunswick Street – opened 1843.
– Saint George’s Round Church, Anglican, Brunswick Street – opened 1802.
– Brunswick Street Methodist Church, Brunswick Street – opened 1834.
– Little Dutch Church, Anglican, Brunswick Street – opened 1756.
– Presbyterian Church, Brunswick Street – opened, moved in 1917 to Windsor Street.
– Park Street Presbyterian Church, North Park Street – opened in 1880s, destroyed by fire 1940s.
– Cornwallis Baptist Church, Cornwallis Street – opened 1840s.
– African Episcopalian Methodist Church, cor of Gottingen and Falkland Street – demolished 1950s.
– North Baptist Church, Gottingen Street – 1860s- ca. 1913.
Underneath Scotia Square, the Trade Mart Building and the Cogswell Interchange
– Poplar Grove Presbyterian, Poplar Grove – 1793-1884 (relocated to North Park Street).
– Salem Chapel Baptist Church, Argyle Street – 1845.
– Chalmer’s Church, Presbyterian Duke and Barrington 1849-1905.
– Trinity Free Church, Jacob Street (congregation moved to Garrison Chapel in 1907).
– Garrison Chapel, corner of Cogswell and Brunswick Streets demolished in 2008/09.
Over the next few weeks and months we will highlight the history of each of these institutions and how the impacted the local community. The first church in our study will be the North Baptist Church which was located between Falkland and Cornwallis streets on Gottingen.